Thursday, January 17, 2013

Share your Universe

Prince said that his musicianship comes from creating his own universe, and allowing only certain people to occupy space in that universe. It's interesting to hear him say that. I am and was a huge Prince fan. Whereas I once (as an 11 year-old) wanted to marry him, I now can watch him from afar and just appreciate the fact that the dude is bad ass.

As a segue, I would look ridiculous dating Prince. The guy wears a size 12 in boys pants. The whole thing would end in fiasco as I would make attempts to slouch and not eat just so we could look similar sized.

Back to the topic at hand. My universe was created when I got here. I nurtured it and preferred to exist in it, but it's not closed to the public. If it was, I think I'd be so completely out of touch.

Jim Morrison once said, "I won't come out. You must come in-to my universe. Where I can construct a universe within the skull to rival real." I think it's what Prince is saying in a way, and again, I question the detachment from the rest of the world. Isn't it the everyman that we artistically would like to reach? Prince isn't exactly reaching new audiences with new music these days probably because of his insistence on staying in his own world.

I'm confused by the disconnection. I read that John Lennon used to write songs in blue collar bars where he could listen in to conversations and feel the vibe of these people. I think this was his success because he wanted to connect-to be apart of the people.

I think I'm onto something here. I once lived in an acting conservatory universe which was a wild one and a loving one that allowed me to nurture and carve out my craft, but then I left and went into the real world and used my ability to observe, participate and feel a variety of people around me, and that's what made me good. Being solely sequestered in one area can be the death of one's art.

I'm acutely aware of this tonight as I left a disappointing acting class. In this case it's a universe that has no growth. I've learned more at a coffee shop or in a movie theater than I learned tonight which really angers me because I could've done something so much better with the money I spent on these 8 sessions like buying a pair of Dr. Scholl's inserts, 10 rounds of miniature golf and a weekend at a hotel in Oxnard-far more productive and just as good of an investment. I can't get better at acting, no matter how many cool drills are there if I'm not being challenged. When you act, you're typically not alone, unless you're a one woman show. You're partner also has to be good so that the ante can be continually get upped but if they're not great then where's the progress? Also, the acting coaches need to be good enough so that they can, first, act like they like you. If you're not convinced by something as simple as that, then how the fuck are they going to teach you anything beyond that. I speak of one instructor.  She is someone I would prefer to not reside in my universe.

The universe we create has to have undesired moments or irritating people in it or we won't grow. One cannot be so disconnected that the world around you is as absurd as a David Lynch film. I now have to question acting classes or any other program that is built in one's own "personal universe" I don't do exclusive clubs, why the hell am I going to want to do an exclusive universe?

If you are artistic, and you want material, don't place yourself on an island. Always have your finger on the pulse. Know the world and then give your own interpretation. Otherwise what's the point of life if you won't be living in it fully while experiencing every type of cuisine rather than a daily dish of spaghetti and meatballs for the rest of your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment