Tuesday, January 1, 2013

2013-Just Have Fun With It

When I was 19, I played Juliet in Romeo and Juliet. To look at me today, one would never have guessed that or a perceptive person would instead think that maybe I'm a good enough actress to convince someone that I can play Juliet.

Anyway, during rehearsal, the director got frustrated with me. I was having trouble connecting the phrasing to my emotion-feeling it-being inside her skin. He yelled at me then we took a break. I went outside and sat on some steps. An older Shakespearean actress (in her late 60s) came out and saw me. She gave me, what would be in the top 3, advice that knocked me into gear and got me to nail the scene when rehearsal continued. Simply put, she said, "It may seem hard, but you've gotta just have fun with it. Once you do that, it's yours." Just have fun with it.

I'm picking that advice up again and am applying it beginning today. I'm not big on New Year's resolutions, but I'm doing it this year. Last year, I said it was the year of trimming the fat, and it was. This year is the year of flexibility, balance and dedication. In keeping this year on it's trajectory, I've adopted the following resolutions:

  • I will be dancing more. It doesn't have to be at a night club or in a class either. I'm going to try to dance around the house as often as I can. I get self conscious during my flash dance moments when I'm alone in my apartment because of my neighbor who occasionally pops his head into our balcony, but I'm not going to worry about that anymore.
  • Laugh-I will be laughing more. I will buy comedy dvd's. I will look to see the humor in things and not get bogged down.
  • The focus on emanating love has got to be a priority. I need to flood my senses with it. I've been showered with love since before I was born. I need to let it flow and surround me in streams of green and purple lights. Love. There's nothing more powerful. It's the perfect antidote for the gross, gooey fear that has attached itself to me. Love.
  • Play. I will be balancing my have-to's with want-to's-more play time! I want to learn to enjoy myself again. Priority!
  • I will reconnect with John Hughes movies. It's gotta be. The quirks and comedy of those films are the spoonful of medicine that I need.
  • Write. Write. Write. Did I mention write? Yeah, Some projects need to be completed and put out there. I've been scrambling to get my life together and heal. I can't put this off anymore.
  • I need to participate in life. I want to be reconnect with friends and make new friends. I want to be around people who make me laugh-who are the same type of crazy-who are driven and who inspire me.
  • I plan on doing some traveling to visit my people. Life is short. What the hell am I waiting for?
Just have fun with it.

I'm easy going and always willing to help others out, but my energy needs to refuel. I need to feed myself. I'm curious as to what I can accomplish when I'm full throttle. What do you want to accomplish? What's your excuse for not doing it?

No comments:

Post a Comment